Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Wanna Write a Magazine Article?
By Michael
WOODACRE, CA

In kindergarten I was tasked with making a shoebox diorama that showed me engaged in my future vocation. The little cardboard me I cut out wasn't playing a professional sport or fighting a fire or walking on the Moon. Instead, Mini Me sat solo in the empty Vans shoebox, in a tiny cardboard chair, behind a tiny cardboard table, in front of a tiny cardboard typewriter. It wasn't a dream I chased very far. At some point growing up I was dissuaded by pragmatism. Having learned that I stood the same chances of becoming a successful writer as my kindergarten classmates did becoming a professional baseball player, I steered clear of ever being caught playing the dreamer.

Nearly five years ago--almost four decades out of kindergarten--we left to go cruising and I was suddenly rich in time. I decided to start writing in earnest. I began selling my writing.

Now, I'm proud and eager to announce a new book filled with all the knowledge I've gained: Selling Your Writing to the Boating Magazines (and other niche mags) (2016, Force Four Publications).

I hope this book gives aspiring writers the knowledge and confidence to get published in their favorite magazines.

Jen Brett, Senior Editor at Cruising World magazine, wrote that Selling Your Writing to the Boating Magazines, "Should be required reading for anyone looking to break into freelance journalism."

Following are additional early reviews I'm pleased to share:

“From now on when I get queries from sailors wanting to know how to get started as writers for the sailing press, I’ll recommend this book. It’s not just the book editors have been waiting for, it’s the book long awaited by every sailor who hopes to make a buck while pursuing his sailing dream.”
Karen Larson, Publisher of Good Old Boat

“Concise, useful and encouraging for any aspiring magazine writer, not just those in the sailing field.”
Lin Pardey, author of more than 400 magazine articles

"Michael Robertson has done a great job composing a primer of practicalities for freelance writers. His clear advice is reinforced by having been widely published himself, allowing him to cite numerous useful examples from his own efforts."
Tim Queeney, Editor of Ocean Navigator

"If you’ve ever thought about sharing your passion by writing about what you love, you need this book. Michael Robertson has put together the ultimate toolkit for launching your freelancing dream."
Beth A. Leonard, freelancer, speaker, and author who supported herself for two decades writing from her boat

If you're interested, ask your local librarian to order Selling Your Writing to the Boating Magazines, or buy a copy at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Kobo.

--MR



16 comments:

  1. Very cool Michael! I just bought my Kindle copy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find it useful Leah. Please let me know when you sell a story!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the new book! I'm sure we'll pick it up, but maybe you want to add a link in your blog post....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'll scrap my plans to write a book on effective publicity. Adding the links, thanks Deb.

      Delete
  3. So awesome, Michael. You're now the author of two very practical books for cruising sailors...and we thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, this book is like a dream come true. I'm a writer and a part-time cruiser, and I hope to bring those two parts of my life closer together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I hope you find this resource valuable. There is an appendix at the end where I talk about the boating magazine market and profile 38 magazines, including circulation, payment, and contact info. Please do let me know what you think. All the best.

      Delete
    2. I started reading last night and it's very useful so far. I already jotted down 8-10 story ideas. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book, including the appendix!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! So THIS is that much anticipated book you mentioned a few posts back! Sounds great - I just ordered the print and matchbook Kindle versions (only $2.99 more). Looking forward to learning valuable skills from you Michael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin! I hope the book serves you well. All the best.

      Delete
  6. That is awesome Michael! I kind of feel like we received a private tutorial on this subject from you and it meant the world to us. We will definitely be purchasing the book, thanks again for the time you invested in us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly, that was my pleasure. I'm happy to help anyone in this regard. Let me know when you sell your next story! Michael

      Delete
  7. As they say here in NZ, that's sweet as bro! I got my Kindle copy already. After all, you helped me publish my first and only article so far, this, I'm sure will renew my desire to get published once more. Congrats Mike and hugs to the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyra, good to hear from you and hello to Rick. I look forward to your next story, hopefully this provides the inspiration. We head back to Tonga in a few days and we're in that panicked rush mode. Can't wait to be back home and settled aboard. Michael

      Delete
  8. Hi,
    Thanks for sharing. Thank you for sharing this informative post. The most recent tool I was put onto (not on many lists) is "Ink for all". I'm a freelance writer, I need to write give or take 3-4 microblog articles every day so using one tool vs several is absolute paradise. So far, so good. Another great tool for my tool box, I wanted to share it: https://seo.app/XzTXZsUH9

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment; we look forward to reading your feedback. Don't forget that you may also contact us directly at delviento@hotmail.com (please type DEL VIENTO in the subject line)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...